Hi Douglas,

On 8/19/07, Douglas A. Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If you mix with apt-get ...

> ... This leads to the cruft buildup that
> aptitude is suposed to help you prevent.

I remember a thread some time ago that just pointed out not to mix apt-get
with aptitude.

The other problem is this.  Install package A.  Aptitude brings in
> package B to meet a dependancy.  Over time, you get attached to package
> B in its own right.  Later, either package A changes and doesn't need B
> or you remove A.  If you haven't told aptitude that you want to keep B,
> it will go ahead and remove it too.
>
> In interactive mode, you get a detailed preview (with reasons) of what
> aptitude wants to do.  You can then edit that preview to fine-tune it
> before telling aptitude to go ahead.  It really tries to protect you
> from yourself without preventing you from shooting yourself in the foot
> if that is really what you want to do.

Yeah, I had this once - don't know anymore which package - but from the
command line aptitude wanted to remove a lot that I wanted to keep. So I
had to enter interactive mode and put that stuff on hold.

Greetings, Manon.