On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 14:34 +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:
> I've the same problem with my nvidia geforce 5200fx, but if I use nv
> driver my X system is ok.

I have a Nvidia FX 5200 in an Asus P4S533-E mobo (AGP) and
I've been wondering about the stability of the Nvidia drivers too.

Under Debian Sarge (which I upgraded to from woody and ran for the
entire period it was stable) with the nvidia drivers (stock kernel,
and modass-built nvidia module IIRC) it was rock steady for months on
end (I don't remember a single crash).

Since the upgrade to Etch (stock kernel and m-a built nvidia again) the
system has been remarkably flaky (becoming unresponsive to
mouse/keyboard or ping) after an uptime on the order of a few days to a
week or two.

A few days ago I reverted to the "nv" driver and so far so good (it's
still a bit early to be sure though though).  Interestingly, the
occasional APIC error I used to see in dmesg (a couple a day at most?)
seems to have dried up.

Any hints for how to get any useful debug information out of the system
when such hangs occur ?  I have an idea you can do something involving
attaching a serial cable and monitoring from another machine (any
pointers to a howto ?)

Tim