On 8/28/07, Richard Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't get why your building you own intird?, if your using the kernel
> provided it already has it's own initrd and if your building the kernel
> yourself why are you using initrd at all?

Good question. I am building my own kernel (using kernel-package). The thing is,
I couldn't boot my computer in kernel 2.6 (but I could in 2.4.27). In
the former case,
it reported that the root filesystem had errors, but not in the latter
case. Then I
changed something in the kernel configuration to make the VIA south
bridge driver
a module, and then I had the error message in the title of this
thread. Then I added
an initrd image and it worked. But now I recall that I did an fsck
check and some
errors where indeed corrected during a session in 2.4.27. So I guess
the reason it
booted afterwards was maybe due to that rather than the initrd thing (which I
do not use on my laptop and I have no problems there). I guess that if
I build back the
driver into the kernel instead of a module, it should be ok without initrd.

But anyway, initrd or not, now my system is messed up, and I am still
stuck with DMA
problems and CRC errors that the 2.6 kernel seems to like much less than 2.4.27.

I wonder why only the root filesystem has been messed up?

--
Francois