Hello

I just tried downgrading libpango1.0-common and libpango1.0-0
No progress at all, still the same error.

I think this error lies somewhere in the communication between glib/gtk and
pango, as the the pango packages don't seem to be the problem, as downgrading
showed.

Is anyone able to direct me somewhere more specific?
If not, what information do you need?

greets, dante

(my other message:)

Hello there

Thank you for your reply
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply but I did not see your reply in a very
long time :(

I gave iceweasel with your parameters a try, it started.
Also, the defoma-error is gone now, so the only thing left is that apps won't
start and print me this error:

<error>

Pango-ERROR **: file pangofc-fontmap.c: line 438 (pango_fc_font_map_add):
assertion failed: (fcfont->fontmap == NULL)
aborting...

</error>

I am now in the process of trying to downgrade libpango1.0-0 and
libpango1.0-common, though this will probably not be a solution in the long
run.

I will write to you again at any moment I figure out something new.

greets,
dante

(Original message below)

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 22:43:29 +0200, danteonline AT gmail DOT com wrote:

[...]

> Problem: I updated my debian lenny/sid system today (at about 14:00 CET,
> 26.07.07).
> After that update, I noticed that i couldn't launch iceweasel anymore, it
gave
> me the error:
>
> <error>
>
> Pango-ERROR **: file pangofc-fontmap.c: line 438 (pango_fc_font_map_add):
> assertion failed: (fcfont->fontmap == NULL)
> aborting...
>
> </error>

What happens if you try to run

iceweasel --safe-mode

or

MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 iceweasel --safe-mode

or

LANG=C iceweasel --safe-mode

?

> The big problem is, that message also appears in applications like zenity.
> Other apps, like gimp, pidgin and quodlibet fail to launch after the update
> too, but they don't seem to give me any distinct error output
> but "segmentation fault".
>
> I assumed the bug was in either libpango1.0-0 or libpango1.0-common, due to
> the fact that I only have those packages installed that contain pango in the
> name.

/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin links against pango libraries which are
part of libpango1.0-0. If you decide to file a bug then it probably
should be filed against that package.

> Reinstalling libpango1.0-common gives me the following warning:
>
> <error>
>
> Cleaning up font configuration of pango...
> Updating font configuration of pango...
> Cleaning up category xfont..
> Updating category xfont..
> *** You don't have any defomized font packages.
> *** So we are trying to force to generate pangox.aliases...
>
> </error>
>
> Note: I do have defoma installed, I even reinstalled.

What output do you get if you run (as root)

/usr/bin/defoma-app -v update pango

> Any suggestions?

Try to downgrade libpango1.0-0 and libpango1.0-common.

> How can I test if the packages I installed are the official
> ones and not some 3rd party ones? I chose mirror.switch.ch for the packages.

If you did not deliberately override apt's package verification
mechanism then you should be safe.

Florian |