On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 09:32:03PM -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 09:07:39PM -0400, Victor Munoz wrote:
> >
> > Disk /dev/hdd: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> > Disk identifier: 0x00014f58
> >
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hdd1   *           1       19331   155276226   83  Linux
> > /dev/hdd2           19332       19457     1012095   82  Linux swap / Solaris
> >
> > As I'm typing this, I notice for the first time that hdd1 is marked as
> > bootable. That's not correct, right? Is is possible that something
> > during some upgrade did it without me knowing? I will try to delete
> > the boot flag...
> >

> Ok, I'm disappointed. It didn't work. hdd has no bootable partitions,
> and I still get the grub prompt, and using configfile complains about
> cylinders.

I read the other part of this thread and I'm not sure those guys are
barking up the right tree, though they could be. I think it is
perfectly valid for grub and the kernel to have different device names
for the drives and so long as you keep track of which context you're
working in, then I think you're alright.

One thing that might be helpful is what does the BIOS call those
drives? In your bios setup screen there will be the usual table of
harddrives and their positions on the motherboard, as the bios sees
them. Can you provide that info for us? please include how the bios is
addressing them (LBA etc).

What motherboard is this and how old is it? It looks like you are
facing an ancient problem with BIOS that couldn't see beyond the first
1024 cylinders. With your large / partition, I'd bet those non-working
kernels are beyond the range that the bios can see, and I'm willing to
bet that your bios is configured incorrectly to see those higher
cylinders.