I need a driver for a Brother Laser printer model HL-2040. The system
is an AMD 64 bit box and the debs provided by Brother are for i386 and
will not install on this 64 bit system. They have released the source
code for the driver under the GPL and I have downloaded it. For this
printer there is a shell script and also a C program to generate a
CUPS wrapper.

When I run the shell script it exits with the folowing error:

-- Message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] at Fri Sep 21 19:15:58 2007 ...
localhost cupsd: Unable to read configuration file
'/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting!

Please advise what I must do to compile and install this stuff.

I have had this printer working on a Kubuntu 7.04 system using the
driver for the HL-2060 (iirc) which was available on the installation
cd. I have abandoned the Kubuntu system in favour of Debian Lenny for
other reasons. So advice on getting and installing the Kubuntu driver
would help also.

Thanks
Bob Parker