> So my advise would be to install "rxvt-unicode" or "rxvt-unicode-lite"
> or "rxvt-unicode-ml" (multilingual), depending on your needs. If it
> displays the man pages correctly, then encoding was the problem,
> and you can use urxvt instead of aterm or rxvt.

Hi,

Yes this was the problem! After installing rxvt-unicode the man pages
render correctly, and it even has the same name for settings that I
had for aterm, so all I had to do is to change aterm to Rxvt in
.Xdefaults. It looks identical to the aterm that I used to run. I will
be using urxvt from now on.

Thank you very much for your help!

-Mike