On 9/24/07, Ted Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi
>
> i need to get another (dial-up) modem for my linux
> box. does the most up to date version of Etch support
> USB modems 'out of the box?' (ie- without a lot of
> heavy configuring, like kernel recompiling.)
>
> and if so, which USB modems are known to work well
> with linux/Etch?
>
> [i wanted to go with USB, if possible, so i could
> switch it easily from one box to another.]

You need a modem that implements the CDC ACM class, and then the Linux
kernel has a standard driver. Be careful, because just like the cheap
PCI modems that are out there, there are USB softmodems (0xff class
device -- e.g. vendor-specific) which require non-free drivers or do
not have Linux drivers at all. Generally hardware-based modems are
several orders of magnitude more expensive than their software-based
counterparts, so what you're paying is a good indication of what
you're getting.

HTH,
-Andrew