On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 01:27:58AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:56:23PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > > ... looking at the "Etch + USB Modem -- Supported?" thread I'm guessing
> > > you guys (at least you and Ron) are also missing those.
> >
> > yeah, sorry I spelled your name wrong there. But since Celejar has
> > logged my claim to be done with that thread, I can't properly issue a
> > correction.
>
> Don't worry about it, I'm used to it :) (though I usually get the Polish
> spelling (Andrej) not the German one)
>
> > I'm still up in the air about d-ot (heh. that's a good one, d.o.t.) as
>
> ? I don't get this one (Department of Technology?)

Department of Transportation, that great American bastion of
bureaucratic efficiency </sarcasm>

> > I don't think its actually practical to implement. For example, how
> > would one go about moving that USB^h^h^hVituperations thread over to
> > d.o.t. and then moving it back when it veers back on-topic.
>
> Just get a list ethicist to do the police work :) "Hey guys, this is
> off-topic on this off-topic list, take it to d-u/d-d/..."

where is joe anyway?

> > its a difficult social problem for which there are few if any
> > technological solutions...
>
> Joke aside, I understand your concern, but I don't see a better solution
> to have offtopic threads without disturbing d-u. And if the posters are
> careful enough to move it to offtopic, they can also move it back to d-u
> if they feel what they are writing belongs there (too).
>
> It may seem that I am pushing this too hard, but it's annoying not to
> get a clear stance on this, especially when Holger Levsen from the
> debian-community project seems to agree on hosting such a list if the
> project won't (there's also googlegroups as a last resort).

I have no clear stance on it, and I suspect that is the case for a lot
of people, hence the lack of actual discussion in this thread. I
personally think it won't work, but see no harm in others trying it
out. HOw's that for a non-commital response.