On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:05:53 -0700, David Brodbeck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Sep 24, 2007, at 9:39 PM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> I use XEMacs daily to produce LaTeX documents.  I have frequent need
>> to search my archives of material I have written in the past, and I
>> use grep for this purpose.  It is difficult for me to imagine an
>> advantage offered by OpenOffice which would compensate for the
>> inability to make use of grep in searching my archives.

> I think it depends on what you're doing.  TeX is awesome for writing
> books and scientific papers.  If you're writing a letter to Grandma,
> though, OpenOffice is better suited.  Using TeX for that is a bit like
> driving a semi truck to the supermarket to pick up a bottle of milk.

        I dunno.  I have a template for letters all created, with my
 address, salutations, etc. It prints out an envelope for me as well,
 All I have to do is type in the content, and the destination.

        Far, far faster than using openoffice, if you ask me.

        manoj
--
"When anyone says `theoretically,' they really mean `not really.'" David
Parnas