Mike,

Right now you're at Sarge.  If you do an upgrade, consider:

One of the first steps is to upgrade your Sarge.  That will likely be a
big download with the chance of breakage.

One of the later steps is to upgrade from latest sarge to latest-etch.
Etch is now at r1.  The tested upgrade path is r0.  Since so much
changed between r0 and r1, there may be problems; I don't know.

Since in the process of upgrading you'll end up replacing everything
anyway, it may end up easier and faster to just do a reinstall.

IIRC, the big problem is the keyboard/mouse combo.  A basic install from
the netinst.iso should let you test if Etch will fix that problem
without you needing to totally reinstall all your packages.  If it
works, go ahead and finish installing.  If it doesn't, go ahead with
Windoes.  The test itself should only take about 30 minutes once you
have Etch's netinst.iso burned.

Actually, I just thought of something.  I've never used it, but the
installer has a GUI version.  I think it may be on netinst but I don't
know.  If it is, boot that and you can test the mouse/keyboard problem
without touching the existing install.  If it works, great, if not...

Doug.