On 9/27/07, Andrew Sackville-West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> a tiling WM is a WM that "tiles" the windows. That is, the windows
> don't overlap, but rather occupy as much space as possible and are
> laid out on the screen like tiles. wmii is one of the many tiling
> WM's. It works by assigning the maximum amount of space to a window
> and automatically sizing the window to that space. So with one window
> open, it gets the full screen automatically. With two, they share the
> screen more or less equally (that's configurable), splitting the
> screen horizontally. You can add more windows as desired and the
> others will all resize and adjust automatically to make the most of
> available screen. You can shift windows into separate columns so that
> one window gets full screen height on, say, the left 2/3's of the
> screen while the others share the remaining 1/3 of the screen.

Oh, that is a nice feature that I do not know of.

> > For my setup: I have one flat monitor (main monitor) and another monitor
> is
> > TV, and I want to watch movies on TV and work on another monitor, and
> that I
> > do not want my mouse bothers the TV when viewing movies, that is why I
> setup
> > so that the mouse can not move from one monitor to another (the mouse is
> > bounded as normal monitor).
>
> okay, that makes sense.
>
> > Another advantage, I "think" but have not tried
> > (will try it soon), is that if you have two mice and two keyboards, you
> can
> > work on one monitor when your child is playing game on another monitor.
> Two
> > separately working desktop with one CPU is cool, right?
>
> Kent West does this and calls it dual-seat. search the archives for
> his insights on doing this.

Yes, dual-seat is what I need, and I find it very convenient and powerful.

> > I am running xinerama and that combines my two screens into one large
> > > one. The mouse flows effortlessly from one to the other. I find it
> > > works very well with a tiling WM (wmii here) and just love it. What do
> > > you find to be the advantages/disadvantages to have two truly separate
> > > screens?

Now you have a sense of why I need dual-seat. What about your setup of
xinerama? What do you find it to be advantages to dual-screen? Actually I
fried xinerama before, but the mouse problem bothered me a lot so that I
switched to dual-screen.

KC.