On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:59:03 +0100
John Stumbles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>
> > Ideas?
>
> Magnifying glass on a stand?
>
> The depth of field with a camera is likely to be so shallow it'd be
> useless for 3D work.

not sure about macro work, but consumer digital cameras have a rediculous depth
of field due to the tiny ccd. Thats one of their big issues in proper portrait
work.

anyway, not sure if there is a linux driver or anything more then an api but I
know that the canon a740 (not very cheep but a very nice camera if you also
want to use it later) has the possibility of working as a webcam.  I don't
think that earlier ones have the interface. I can try to ask what interface
exists (have seen it done on windows)

At least the older nikons don't have that ability either.

As said before though, what about a good magnifying glass, or is this an excuse
to also spring for a digi cam