I have a thinkpad laptop with a trackpoint, touchpad and occasionally an
external usb mouse. The laptop goes to sleep between uses so X isn't restarted
much. I want to be able to connect the mouse on occasions, when it was not
connected when starting X, while still being able to give each device it's own
configuration.

Theoretically I would define the touchpad to use /dev/input/mouse0, the
trackppoint /dev/input/mouse1 and the usb mouse /dev/input/mouse2 (as they do),
but since mouse2 doesn't exist when X starts I can't connect it unless it was
connected initially.

I found a workaround of defining the trackpoint to use /dev/input/mice and the
touchpad /dev/input/mouse0 so that it can use the synaptic driver, but that is
not ideal as the trackpoint uses PS/2 or microsoftPS2 and the external mouse
ImPs/2 (I hope I remember all of these correctly) and I also want different
options for the mouse and touchpad.

Is that possible? Windows does it, so I Hope that the answer is yes ...
Thanks