On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:19:20PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:39:25PM -0800, Steve Lane wrote:
> > Greetings.  In order to insure that a Debian stock kernel (i.e. the
> > kernel installed from the linux-image-2.6.22-2-686-bigmem package) boots
> > correctly off of a mdadm RAID 1 set of two disks if one of the disks is
> > dead, do we:
> >
> > 1) Have to manually install grub on the MBR on *both* drives, or is this
> >    done automagically by the grub package installer if the RAID 1 set
> >    is in place at the time of the grub install?
>
> this is what I did and it works fine.
>

> > 2) Need to have something that looks like this in /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>
> don't know about md= options so can't comment.

I have everything except /boot on LVM over raid1.  Therefore I have

md0 := raid1 for /boot
md1 := raid1 for LVM

LVmirror-root for /

I have grub on both drives.  Since its raid1, both drives look the same
and the kernel gets loaded.  This is before the array gets started.

The initrd starts up the arrays.  If a disk is bad the arrary runs in
degraded mode but the array number stays the same.  I use a label on the
filesystems and use a label on the kernel command line.

Therefore, you should only need grub installed on both drives; the
kernel should take care of the rest.

Note: part of this is BIOS dependant.  Grub only knows drives based on
BIOS order.  On my box, if I pull out one SATA drive (doesn't matter
which), the remaining drive looks to the BIOS as the first drive.  I
don't know what would happen with SCSI or ATA(IDE).

Your best bet is to set it up and then test.

Doug.