I have a newly installed system and no /etc/environment, looking at files from
an old system, it's supposed to be created by localeconf which no longer exists.

The settings are now set in /etc/defaults/locale but the are not read for new
terminals, also doesn't seem to help what kind of shell is used.

Opening a terminal, no matter which, $LANG is not defined, if I do su <user>
the value gets defined which I believe means that /etc/defaults is sourced.
Can't find what is the difference and why it is not sourced for new terminals
in X.