Serena Cantor wrote:
My sarge is installed at /dev/sda2. There is some disk space just behind
/dev/sda2.
Can I let sarge use that space by resizing /dev/sda2?

Yes you can! Just use fdisk to delete /dev/sda2 and rectreate it with the same starting point and the new size (that includes the free space) Then use resize2fs to resize the filesystem to the new size. You might also want to look into gparted, as it has a very nice gui that is a lot less intimidating than fdisk. You can even boot off a gparted livecd and fix your partition.

Saving data and reformatting /dev/sda2 and reinstalling sarge takes too much
time.

Even though gparted and the fdisk method have never failed on me, I usually backup my most critical data when I muck around with the partitioning. If you have enough space on another disk or on a remote machine, you might want to consider clonezilla-live take a backup. It uses partimage and is much faster than cp, tar, rsync or dd.

You can find gparted and clonezilla live cds at [gparted|clonezilla].sourceforge.net (a multi boot cd offering both is also available)

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi