Peter Smerdon wrote:
Florian Kulzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Do you see anything interesting in /var/log/syslog?

nothing appears in syslog with the startx command, however everytime I
use gdm I get:

Nov 20 17:51:54 laptop gdm[4562]: WARNING: Failed to start X server
several times in a short time period; disabling display :0

Is there any difference if you run startx as root? (Normally you should
not do that, of course, but trying it might help to rule out permission
problems.)

No real difference, it created a /root/.Xauthority file and said:
X:warning process set to priorty -1 instead of requested priority 0
then I got the same errors as in my original post.

Thanks all for the help so far btw..
What happens if you just try running X alone, as in:

# X &

--
Kent