On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:34:42PM -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 21:08 -0800, mond wrote:
>
> > I dont know how to do now. I really have very important data from my
> > research on my pc. Is it possible to edit fstab or just boot to some
> > kind of basic system, so at least I can rescue my data?
> >
> > Many thanks, I am having a tough thanksgiving now.
>
> Sounds like a job for one of the live CD distros like Knoppix, Mepis,
> Damn Small Linux, Ubuntu, etc.
>
> Just boot up with a live CD (I'm assuming you have another working
> system you can use to download and burn the ISO to disk), and edit away.

Or just boot the install CD in rescue mode.  It should mount the root
drive so that he can run a shell chrooted to / so that he can edit
/etc/fstab on the drive and not /etc/fstab in the ramfs of the installer
environment.

Alternatively, he could boot his regular box with init=/bin/sh so that
only the / filesystem is mounted ro and /etc/fstab doesn't get read and
nothing gets mounted.  He'll have to remount / rw so that he can then
edit and save a corrected /etc/fstab.

Doug.