Jonathan Kaye wrote:

Hi all,
ATI just released a new driver, the ATI Catalystâ„¢ 7.11 Proprietary Linux
x86 Display Driver. Does anyone understand their numbering system? The
previous driver, released in October 2007 was 8.42.3. Is ATI going
backwards? Is 7.11 really the LATEST driver?
TIA,
Jonathan
To answer my own question, when I started to build the debs from the
installer, the version came out as 8.433-1. To be consistent, ATI should
have called it 8.43.3-1 but at least not it appears to be a later version
than 8.42.3-1.
It is a later version, this is ATI's new versioning scheme. The new system will be: year.month .

And sooner or later that scheme will be on the modules as well.

/Magnus