I am trying to pin down a general kind of problem occuring with a number of applications on both Windozzzz and Linux. This is not urgent so look at this problem if you have time or interest.

I am having a problem with a number of capture type applications one of which is a Firefox add-on. But this is just one application I use as an example as it looks to me like the same or similar kind of problem is occurring to several applications running on several machines and I have even experiences this same or similar kind of problem on both Windozzzz as well as Linux OS platforms.

Here goes -- remember my firefox add-on which is a capture type application is just an example. I think I might better understand the source of the problem if I knew better the browser protocol when responding to a URL and the RSS protocol. One (of several) applications I am having a problem with is called scrapbook but my question is more general. I am trying to figure out if the problem is the result of my limited bandwidth (dial up) because the process failure behavior closely resembles a failed browser completion or download completion while downloading or capturing a web page or other file and the fetch often process just hangs part way through the process. I note that with a browser there is the reload or equivalent operation which restarts the browser. With my dial up ISP connection it is very common for me to have to reload -- often several times over when the Internet traffic is slow and some servers are also slow and the web page is large. So this has got me thinking that my problem with the scrapbook (and other capture type) application might be closely related to my problem with browsers and I would like to understand that fetching process better. For example the he scrapbook web page capture application puts out little messages like, connecting, loading, transfer of data, and since it is a web page capturing application it indcates capture of the web page into a file. My question is more about the connecting, loading and transfer of data which are probably the same kind of operations and protocol that a browser uses. What exactly is the difference between loading and transfer of data? I think loading involves the file names and/or sections within the web page and transfer of data involves the data in those files -- for example, the CSS file or the use of Javascript or tables, etc. But this is just an educated guess based on building web pages and I wanted to get the opinion of others more knowledgeable on brower and capture operations. The reason I don't want to talk about the scrapbook application specifically is because I have the same kind of problem with other capture type applications such as Offline Explorer and others and the problem occurs on all my computers. All these applications involve interaction with the Internet and the acquirement of web pages. Some of my applications are more robust and recover from a broken dial up connection and some don't. My data aquisition tasks are (capture of web pages) all done on 3 or 4 Windozzzzzz machines because a lot of these particular applications either are not available on Linux. But I have several Linux machines doing this kind of acquisition and the problem is the same but fewer applications on Linux. For example, the firefox add-ons are often not available on Linux. I did several years ago try to run wget and wput and other applications inside perl and bash scripts and even then I encountered this hanging problem. I am looking for confirmation or other opinions from the Debian user group because I may be missing something significant. I have this nagging worry that perhaps OS resources (about which I know little in the way of socket operation, etc.) on both Windozzzzz as well as Linux may also be involved that may result is time-outs because of a slow and crowded Internet connection. I have now waited 2 years for a fast Internet connection and it should be soon here and I don't want to find out to my surprise that I still have this problem to the same degree.

Any advise from anyone having had similar problems would be very welcome.

Thanks -- Ted
BTW, everyone have a nice day! Our temperature low here in North Alberta, Canada is about -15 degrees Celsius. Add in the wind factor and the layer of snow and we are talking COLD although I've seen it much colder out here. The fast Internet people came out yesterday and they could not install the connection because of the ice all over the scaffolding and roof. Waited 2 years and now still waiting.

.