On Wed December 26 2007, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > What is the output of `aptitude search "~Gx11::screensaver~i"
> > > gnome-screensaver` ? You may have another screensaver program beyond
> > > your regular one (I'm assuming GNOME) active.
> >
> > $ `aptitude search "~Gx11::screensaver~i"
> >
> > > gnome-screensaver`
> >
> > ** (gnome-screensaver:9079): WARNING **: screensaver already running in
> > this session
>
> That's a pretty good clue that your screensaver is *NOT* turned off...

you are correct. And I finally found, under the Debian menu ( that would be
the gnome Apps??) under system -control panel-screensaver. the screensaver
was CHECKED. I unchecked it.
I run KDE, but... I guess some gnome apps are installed and executable.

thanks for the tips. I wonder why it got turned on, when I wasn't running it
before, and all I did was the "normal" aptitude updates...
running Debian Lenny.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800