On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 06:32:01PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> When I type startx then it runs and on the end I get a blank screen
> and then I get the Virtual Terminal back again.
>
> This was yesterday.

The next step, missing from this description, should be to look at the
logs to see what happened.

> Today I purge the wdm, xserver-xorg, and install xserver-xorg
> but without wdm again.
>
> I try now to get X Window with startx, but without success.
>
> I think I go to reinstall the Etch system. :(

A non-destructive option might be to boot a live CD system (e.g.,
Ubuntu, Knoppix, ...) and have a look at what it does to get X
working, assuming that it does work of course.

--
Ken Irving, [EMAIL PROTECTED]