On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 05:28:48PM -0500, charlie derr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was
heard to say:
> It's been a while, but I just attempted a massive upgrade (executing
> "aptitude upgrade") and ended up with:

  The interesting thing is why these packages failed, which would be in
the output preceding the list of failed packages.

> Unpacking replacement desktop-base ...
> gconftool-2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol:
> gzopen64
> dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 127
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> gconftool-2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol:
> gzopen64
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/desktop-base_4.0.4_all.deb
> (--unpack):

  It's pretty clear from that that your problem is that your version of
libxml2 is failing to load because it doesn't contain gzopen64.

  It would be interesting to know what ldd /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 says.
Some hits on Google suggest that people get this problem when they have
another version of libz hanging out in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (e.g., in
/usr/local/lib or /lib).

> The above is in response to   apt-get -f install (what used to work in the
> past for fixing issues, maybe that's my mistake?)

  That ought to work fine.

> If I try to upgrade one of those packages individually with   aptitude
> install shared-mime-info then the below happens:

>   gnome-session libgnome2-common libgnomevfs2-common shared-mime-info
> 4 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 795 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/2706kB of archives. After unpacking 1461kB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
> Writing extended state information... Error!
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the desktop-base package. This might mean
> you need to manually fix this package.
> E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?

  Erk.  That means something is hosed in your apt cache.  I would guess
this isn't related to your earlier problems, but it would be interesting
to know whether running "aptitude update" fixes this problem, and to see
the output of "apt-cache showpkg desktop-base".

  Daniel