On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:06:09AM +0900, David wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >I'm considering getting a tape drive for intermediate backup and
> >long-term archiving (e.g. DLT-IV or LTO).  Newer drives require a higher
> >data rate to keep them fed than older drives.
> >
> >I can measure raw hard drive speed with hdparm -Tt, but how do I measure
> >how fast a backup software could read from the filesystem to know how
> >fast a tape drive my box will support?
> >
> >The box is an Athlon64 3800+ on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with 1 GB ram
> >(one stick only), with two Seagate 80 GB SATA-II drives.
> >
> >The system filesystems are on LVM over RAID1 and the data filesystems
> >are on LVM striped volumes (for better speed).
>
> I'm not familiar with speeds of modern tape drives, Doug, but it may be
> good to install matched pair of 1Gb (one on each side) to avoid a
> potential bottle neck?

That was/is going to be my next upgrade.  I went to the store here in
Kingston and couldn't get any pairs of DDR2-800.  It was just after the
price had dropped and they couldn't get any.  I'll have to try again.

Actually, I figure that while I'm at it, I'll make it a pair of 2 GB
sticks, unless of course a set of 4 is on a great sale :)

Doug.