Hi,
as a new user I am puzzled about the inability of my Debian installation
to handle NTFS-partitions from start. I installed in expert mode and
chose to install support for NTFS.

The NTFS-partitions are shown alright if I click the My Computer icon on
my Gnome desktop. But they cannot be mounted when I click at the icons.
I get an error message from pmount stating that they cannot be mounted
because they are not detachable. (The partitions are on fixed drives.)

I note that the NTFS-partitions are mounted for reading if I boot with a
KNOPPIX CD. I searched the documentation and found that KNOPPIX uses
kudzu (and not discover1) for hardware detection. Synaptic doesn't offer
kudzu for Debian. hwinfo uses parts of kudzu, but cannot be used for
hardware detection.

Have I overlooked some settings during the installation? Or are there
any flaws in discover1?

It might be useful to add some instructions for NTFS in the installation
manual.

Yours,
Per Tunedal