On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 02:08:10PM -0700, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said on Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 02:54:33PM -0400:
> >
> > Can a reiserfs not be nfs-remote-mounted?
>
> Yes.

Serves me right for asking a negative question.  I presume this meand Yes, a reiserfs
can be nfs-remote-mounted.

> > Or am I doing something else wrong?
>
> Probably.
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] hendrik]# mount /reiseroffsite/
> > mount: topoi:/reiseroffsite failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] hendrik]#
>
> Have you read your logs?  Try doing the mount, and then check the logs on both
> the server and the client.

When I try to mount topoi:/reiseroffsite  onto /reiseroffsite on lovesong, I get

ug  3 17:04:31 topoi -- MARK --
Aug  3 17:24:27 topoi rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from lovesong:89\
9 for /reiseroffsite (/reiseroffsite)
Aug  3 17:24:27 topoi rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted

Nothins shows up in the log on lovesong.

But if (on topoi) I first umount /reiseroffsite, so that topoi:/reiseroffset
is an ordinary directory instead of a mounted reiser file system, and
then I mount topoi:/reiseroffsite on /reiseroffsite on lovesong, it
mounts with the following message.  But of course I am not mounting
the remote reiser file system if I do this.

Aug  3 17:26:02 topoi rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from lovesong:93\
5 for /reiseroffsite (/reiseroffsite)

No complaint about getfh failing.  What is gatfh, anyway?

This suggests strongly that it is topoi's mounted reiser file system that
blocks things, since when it is not mounted on topoi, there is no problem.

And here is are the relevant lines from /etc/fstab.  /home2 is an ext2
file system that can be properly nfs-exported.  /reiseroffsite, however,
cannot be.

/dev/hdb11      /home2          ext2    defaults    1    2
/dev/hdc1       /reiseroffsite  reiserfs  noauto,user 0   0

Is it perhaps that user-mountable volumes cannot be nfs-ported?
It doesn't help if I mount them as root?  I cold have sworn
I had done that regularly a few months age with another
(ext2) partition.

-- hendrik