On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:40:19 +0100
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

> This is a result from incorrect device handling by wodim.....
> As you see, wodim does not support to write DVDs, conclusion:
> Just don't use unsupported software like wodim.

Although what you say is factually correct I'm surprised that the
author of CD and DVD recording software can sound so much like a
broken vinyl record.

If the inclusion of cdrecord into GPL-strict Linux distros were
important to you (I'm assuming it ain't, why should it) you could
just GPL it and take the wind out of the stupid Debian maintainers'
sails. After all it's you who insists that the CDDL and the GPL are
compatible.

Personally I don't have much of an opinion, and I couldn't tell the
CDDL from the GPL anyway. What I do think is that this issue doesn't
deserve the ferocity with which you defend your position, whichever
that may be, and that this fruitless discussion has taken on a life
of its own.

If it were true that the "wodim" maintainers are after hurting you and
cdrecord, and that they created some license strawman to support their
position it'd be interesting to see what would happen if cdrecord
were GPL'ed.

Again, I don't care much either way. I'm just puzzled by the
amount of time and energy you are willing to waste on this (IMO)
non-issue.

--D.