On Thursday 24 January 2008 17:13 Ted Hilts wrote:
> Martin
>
> What is the exact kernel version you are running on both machines and
> what are their CPU designations?  The problems in the past have not been
> with the distribution but with various kernels. Did you compile your
> systems from source or did you use pre-compiled packages?  Did you
> compile the source and apply a patch for the kernels  or did you use
> kernel binaries with the Xen package already compiled into the kernel
> binaries?

the "xen package" isn't compiled into the kernel afaik, you still need some
userland stuff to start/stop (interface) the domUs.

> Looking forward to this information.  Thanks, Ted

aptitude install xen-linx-image-2.6-xen-amd64

no i'm not joking, those with the hypervisor and ioemu and i was set, I had
the 2 or 3 minor updates since etch release and all of those kernels worked
fine.

the dom0 doesn't have anything apart from the official etch repos

http://packages.debian.org/etch/linux-image-2.6-xen-amd64

aptitude search ~ixen
i A linux-image-2.6-xen-amd64       - Linux kernel 2.6 image on AMD64
i A linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-amd64  - Linux 2.6.18 image on AMD64
i   linux-image-xen-amd64           - Linux kernel image on AMD64
i A linux-modules-2.6.18-5-xen-amd6 - Linux 2.6.18 modules on AMD64
i   xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-amd64    - The Xen Hypervisor on AMD64
i   xen-utils-3.0.3-1               - XEN administrative tools
i A xen-utils-common                - XEN administrative tools - common
files

First Box (2 cores/1 cpu):
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 39
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 146
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2009.290
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5024.69
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

Second Box (4 cores/2 cpus):
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 65
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2212 HE
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2000.070
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext
3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 5002.02
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

AGAIN: I didn't install any specific version i think i even
used "linux-image-xen-amd64" - it just works with etch

hth
martin

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.