Hi,

This box (Sid: now on a dialup modem) is to be moved to a different location where there is only a cable modem.

So once there I either connect or I don't. I cannot get anything from the net in any other way.

Having googled the subject, the HOWTO (from 2004) says:
"Most, if not all, cable modems are easily configured for use with Linux"

So please check me if what I think is right:

1. The box has an (presently unused) ethernet port and lspci shows it:
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)

2. dhcp client is installed:
ii  dhcp3-client                     3.0.6-1                    DHCP client
ii dhcp3-common 3.0.6-1 common files used by all the dhcp3* packages

3. All I have to do is change /etc/networking/interfaces from:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet ppp
post-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.up.rules

to:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
post-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.up.rules

and issue: ifup

4. I have the DVD's for Etch. I could also do a new install for Etch (I now have all Sid) and that should "automatically" find the cable modem in the new installation.

Sound right?

Hugo