On Jan 28, 2008 8:06 AM, Kelly Clowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 6:29 AM, charlie derr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a laptop with a native resolution of 1900x1200 which has been
> > working fine for the past year an a half.
> >
> > This weekend I upgraded (which included both X and kde) in unstable/sid and
> > now I find that my X session is being rendered
> > (according to xvidtune) at 1680x1050
> >
> > What's odd is that the relevant section from  /etc/X11/xorg.conf (pasted
> > below) wouldn't seem to allow that.
> >
> > Anyone know what's going on?   The only explanation that makes sense to me
> > is that Xorg now directly queries the graphics
> > subsystem and essentially ignores what's been set in xorg.conf.  I'm
> > definitely interested in knowing how to get back the full
> > 1900x1200 resolution.
> >

> Here is what part of my xorg.conf looks like:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "G90f-2"
>         Option          "DPMS"
>         Option          "PreferredMode"         "1600x1200"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Device          "ATI RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"
>         Monitor         "G90f-2"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 #Modes          "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> As you can see the "modes" are commented out, and monitor
> has a "preferredmode". Unfortunately I don't remember what
> blog post pointed me in this direction and I don't know what
> variant methods might work, if this particular setup do the job.
>
> Hopefully this will be of some help.

Followup - I found this page:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

which mentions dropping the screen/display/modes section
and the vertical and horizontal specs. Further down, it
mentions the use of "preferredmode", although in a more
complex way (with  modeline).

P.S. gmail's "update conversation" shows that this is now
redundant, but since I already wrote it, I guess I'll post it.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers