Side bar:

As i was just trying to clean up my hackish maneuvers in /usr/bin, I noticed
that there are two packages installed.  One is ruby and one is ruby1.8.  The
plain ruby seems to do little more than install a ruby link to the versioned
ruby binary.  Is this all it does?  What do you call this kind of package?