I have a new install of 4.0 on my laptop and want to scp the
configuration for Alpine from my main machine to it.

        I tried an scp -r from the laptop; failed on a refusal by the
laptop. Tried it from the main machine. Same result. Finally tried going
into the laptop with ssh from the main (which succeeded), and doing scp
back. Even that failed, for the same reason.

        Here's the latest error message, using a gnome terminal on the
main pc, after doing ssh into the laptop :

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ scp -r 192.168.x.y:/home/btth/.pinerc 192.168.x.z:/
home/btth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password).
lost connection
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

        The prompt is that of the laptop, whose name reflects the fact I
am just starting with Debian. As you see, the ssh session is still intact.
--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Evangelist
Remember I know little (precious little!) of what I am talking about.