On 2/29/08, Doug MacFarlane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, about 4 years ago I had to give up Debian for professional reasons.
> After
>  suffering through Red Hat, CentOS and Suse/SLED/SLES and the abominable
> package
>  management, I'm BACK!!!
>
>  Boy did I miss you guys . . .
>
>  So I ran the 4.0 r3 netinst, and just for giggles ran an apt-get update and
>  apt-get upgrade.  Nothing needed, but cool.
>
>  Looking at sources.list, it appears we now use distribution names, such as
> etch,
>  instead of stable and testing and unstable to name the hierarchies?  Is this
>  correct?
>
>  The Debian Installed didn't pickup the built-in sound card on my Dell XPS
> 200.
>  No surprise there - neither did Suse/SLED.
>
>  I'm on a jihad to rid my life of Windows.  I converted my laptop some time
> ago,
>  and then deleted the windows vista partition about a month ago.  Now it's
> time
>  for my desktop.  I need some guidance:
>
>  1.  Who would like to help me with the Sound Card issue?  We can do it via
> email
>  offline from this list.  I've never been really good with loading modules and
>  drivers . . .
>
>  2.  What to do about sync'ing with my Treo 750 (running windows mobile 6).
> I'd
>  like for gmail/google calendar to be my authority, and use imap on my laptop
> and
>  desktop (evolution - any other suggestions?), but how do we deal with
> sync'ing,
>  especially contacts, to the Treo/WinMobile?
>
>  3.  Windows emulation.  My parents will visit in 2.5 weeks and will want
> Pretty
>  Good Solitaire because it has a game called Thirteen Packs in it that is an
> old
>  family favorite.
>
>  4.  I'm going to run VMware Workstation or Server - I use Dragon Naturally
>  Speaking to do speech to text conversion of meetings that I record on my
> Olympus
>  pocket recorder.  Unless you have a better idea . . .
>
>  Thanks in advance - I'm so glad to be back.
>
>  Doug
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>  --

Hey,
  Welcome back!

  I'm not sure when the change to dist names instead of stable etc was
made, (the old way still works btw) but I believe it is to help
prevent unexpected dist-upgrades when stable is moved on.

  Windows emulation/compatibility wise: being gone for so long you
might find that wine has caught up a little and may be able to run
some of the apps you're wanting. 'Most everything else will run in a
vm.

  I haven't tried tackling any of the other issues, I've never come up
against them and wouldn't want to lead you astray. Hopefully someone
else can help you out.

cheers,
Owen.