On Sun March 9 2008 11:40:57 Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On 13:57 Sun 09 Mar     , Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > Do you have the linus-image-2.6 meta-package installed?  If you only
> > have an actual linux-image deb installed, it will never be upgraded.
> > The meta-package will always depend on the most recent version and will
> > be updated at the time that the new version is added to the repository.
> >
> > The "standard" way of handling this is to use aptitude to install the
> > linux-image-2.6 meta-package which will bring in everything upon which
> > it depends.  Once you are running the new kernel without errors, you can
> > start to remove older kernels manually from within aptitude.
>
> I use apt not aptitude ( :( ). I am used to it.
> When I try to do
> apt-get install linux-image-2.6 it tell me that it is a virtual package
> provided by (the long list of packages).
> " You should explicitly select one to install ".

Sorry Mitchell, there was a slight mistake in the advice given to you.
You should not install linux-image-2.6 but rather linux-image-2.6-486
or linux-image-2.6-686 (or one of the other variants) whichever is
appropriate for your processor.

This will cause future kernel security updates to be installed as
expected when you "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade".

--Mike Bird