On 3/20/08, Rodrigo Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have installed DEBIAN ETCH on my Toshiba laptop. At the beginning I
> was able to handle the control volume but no sound came out of the
> speakers. So going through the web I started upgrading and downloading
> more packages and applications until the moment in which no sound but no
> sound card detection either.
>
> alsaconf is not working.

Okay, I don't know what the problem is, but maybe I can give some suggestions.

Are you saying you think that somewhere in the upgrading and
downgrading the auto-detection seemed to fail?

You can also check in the BIOS of your computer to make sure that the
onboard sound hardware is enabled.  If it's not enabled alsaconf won't
detect it.

If you run the command lspci can you see your sound card?  All PCI
sound cards should show up there.  It will say "multimedia" device, I
think.  If it shows up then at least we'll know, uhm, something.  If
it doesn't it's possible you have an ISA card.

Also, did you change Plug and Play settings in your BIOS recently?

That's all I can think of for now.

Tom