Alan Waterfall wrote:

I have attempted to install Debian onto an Apple Mac 4400. According to the
installer I have done so succesfully. All I am presented with on startup
after log in is a black screen with a prompt like a dollar sign. I foolishly
imagined ( after all I am only a Mac user) that some sort of GUI would
appear automatically. What on earth should I do. Installing was a nightmare,
I have no idea if it was done correctly.

I would be grateful for any help.

You may only have a minimal system installed. If X is installed, the command "startx" should get a GUI going for you. If not, you might need to install some more packages. You might try running "tasksel" and select "X Window System" and/or "Windowing Environment" (or somesuch; I forget the exact names).

Or alternatively you can install individual packages and gradually build up X. You can do something like:

"apt-get install xbase-clients xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xfonts-base xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-scalable xterm icewm"

which I believe will be enough to get you to the point where "startx" will work. If you want a graphical logon screen, you can "apt-get install kdm" (or xdm/wdm/gdm). If you want to install KDE or gnome, I'm not sure which packages you want.

You can also use "aptitude" (you might need to first install it with "apt-get install aptitude" for a more menu-driven approach, or use "dselect" for the older menu-driven approach.

Hopefully this'll get you started.

--
Kent West ([EMAIL PROTECTED])