On 26/03/2008, David Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Andrew Sackville-West >  That means I
>
> get to move up to 64 bit. In keeping with my personal
>
>  >  preference to *never* reinstall, I've got an opportunity to attempt to
>  >  migrate a running system from 32 to 64 bit. I also have the
>  >  opportunity to practice on my laptop which could run 64 bit but
>

> Here's a thought. If you can use the laptop, go ahead, but can you
>  carve out a small place on your desktop for this? I suggest basically
>  doing a new partition, doing a debootstrap of the current version of
>  debian you already use, for the amd64 architecture. Prior to doing the
>  debootstrap, use dpkg --set-selections and save that in a convenient
>  place, then do a dpkg --get-selections to get all the packages you
>  already have.

I'd use the two commands the other way around:

      dpkg --get-selections [package-name-pattern...]
             Get list of package selections, and write it to stdout.  Without
             a pattern, packages marked with state purge will not be shown.

      dpkg --set-selections
             Set  package  selections  using  file read from stdin. This file
             should be in the format '<package> <state>', where state is  one
             of  install,  hold,  deinstall or purge. Blank lines and comment
             lines beginning with '#' are also permitted.

But yes, that seems the most sensible way to do it, though it seems OP
isn't really looking for the most sensible way:). I would assume that
with some dpkg abuse it should be possible to install a 64 kernel
(that also can run 32 userland), then maybe copy /lib and /usr/lib to
/lib32 and /usr/lib32 (and add those locations to /etc/ld.so.conf.d),
abuse dpkg some more that it starts installing 64 bit libraries and
executables, and ...
At some points in between you may well end up with a hosed system, but
well, if you don't mind that, it seems like an interesting route:).