I am trying to get subdomains of virtual host domains working on my site.
I ahve enabled NameVirtualHost on my server via creating a file in the
/etc/apache2/conf directory called virtual.conf with the contents of:

#
#  We're running multiple virtual hosts.
#
NameVirtualHost *

i had created this file called www.XXX.com and placed it into the
/etc/apache2/sites-available directory.
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        ServerName  XXX.com
        ServerAlias *.XXX.com

        # Indexes + Directory Root.
        DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/websites/XXX.com/public_html/

        # CGI Directory
        # ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/html/websites/XXX.com/cgi-bin/
        # <Location /cgi-bin>
        #         Options +ExecCGI
        # </Location>

        # Logfiles
        ErrorLog  /var/log/apache2/www.XXX.com/logs/error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/www.XXX.com/logs/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

it seems that if i create a directory link like rid.XXX.com to the main
directory XXX.com and add that to my host file...i am able to bring a
webpage up.  If i remove the directory link.....

i get page not found errror....

mjh