Andrew & others,

asw> I"m betting its uswsusp that is the culprit.

Correct!  Removed uswsusp with dselect and the
"resume: ..." complaint disappeared.  The extant
initrd seems to work.

The message would be more helpful if it mentioned
uswsusp.  I suppose this can be a bug report.

Probably I accepted the recommendation for uswsusp
consequent to selecting pm-utils.

Now I can return to incorporating the In-reply-to
parameter in the message header so that I'm not
always breaking threads.

Thanks,         ... Peter E.

--
http://carnot.yi.org/