Sorry for that personal message, I misclicked. It wasn't aimed at you
specifically.

Anyhow, to get back on topic.

I have myself tried and used a lot of distributions and I have used
(and plan to use more of) FreeBSD. I went through RPM hell of various
distributions, experienced compiling from source and living on the
bleeding edge with Gentoo. I even used Debian 3.0 back in the days it
was just released, though my general *NIX knowledge was too low at
that time to know how to deal with various errors that arose, again
probably because my lack of knowledge.

When Debian Etch was released, I wanted to give Debian a shot again in
some server scenarios, because of it's stability, security and ease of
upgrading. I now deeply respect the concept of "stable", having been
through security-through-bleeding-edge concept of Gentoo, for example.
Long End of Life of stable Debian seems priceless. Yet, on the other
hand, Backports filled the gap caused by some oldish packages and in
general there are a lot of packages for people to use.

I now perceive myself back in those days as a person who wanted to try
a lot of things for no specific reason. I wanted faster apps (ricer,
eh), more apps, more eye candy... Now, when I administer several *NIX
servers on a daily basis, I want stable stuff, in all meanings of the
word. Stable filesystem, stable kernel, stable services, to name a
few.

So to wrap this long rant up, less people use Debian? Who cares!
People who use it *know* why they use it. Why try to "sell" a distro
to people who are still impressed by CFLAGS and a ton of eye-candy?
That extra 1% of performance, but occasional crashes? Who tweak their
systems all day long, but are doing essentially nothing?