On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 03:21:18PM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] was heard to say:
> I have recently carried out a dist-upgrade on a long time running i386 debian
> machine. Somehow the new distro changed its device naming from hda1 to sda1
> and now my ide attached harddisk fails to boot! Booting it will only take me
> as far as raminitd (or something to that effect which i can't remember
> exactly). I managed to edit the grub entry to become sda1 and it booted all
> the way to login prompt and I am stuck. There is no other partition which
> I've made like /usr, /home, /var, etc. So I have no way of editing my
> /etc/mount since there isn't such file nor is there an editor i can use.

  I assue you mean /etc/fstab, not /etc/mount?

  I believe nano is installed in /bin; maybe you can use that to edit
fstab?  If you can't log in (I'm unclear whether you can from the above),
you can try booting in single-user mode.

  The alternative is to just mount the partitions by hand; e.g.,

  mount /dev/sda2 /mountpoint

  You can mount them on a temporary directory (e.g., /mnt/tmp) and
examine the contents if you aren't sure which is which.

  Daniel