Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the
various kernel source packages in the repository, and which is
the best choice for just being able to reproduce the running kernel?

The example in my Martin Kraft book refers to:
        apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8
but I can't find a 'kernel-source-anything'..

The docs on debian.org suggest
        apt-get install linux-source-2.6

but looking in the repository I also see
        linux-source
as well as
        linux-tree-2.6.18-n
where n is a number between 1 and 8, and there are also
        linux-tree-2.6.18.dfag.1-n
where n is 9-19, some with 'etch' followed by a digit appaended.

The above are all 'v' packages. There is also
        linux-source-2.6.18
and
        linux-tree-2.6.18
which are actual packages.
Can anyone explain what the reasonaing is behind this organization?

Thanks,
DigbyT