On 17-Apr-08, at 10:31 AM, Celejar wrote:
Hi,

I find myself in a bizarre networking predicament.
[...]

I) Use static network configuration, rather than DHCP, for edith. The
problem is that edith needs to get my ISP's nameservers from gwen,
which normally occurs through DHCP.  Several sub-solutions:
        A)  Hard code the nameservers, and hope they don't change.  The
drawback to this approach is obvious; hope isn't a valid substitute for
correctness.

I'd do that, and add an additional name server or two (like OpenDNS, or your ISP's competition's name server) to the list, on the off chance they do get changed. I don't know your ISP, but mine has used the same three IP addresses for DNS for many years now.... (and if you're in the north-east of North America I'd be happy to give them to you - they've been very reliable)

It's simple, and not prone to breakage

My 2c

Brian