On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:16:16PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > My new /etc/resolv.conf is coming up as:
> > nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> This is correct if you have bind9 installed.  Since this is
> automatically detected then I assume that you do have bind9 installed
> in order to see this result.  If you remove bind9 then you would see
> the DHCP nameserver addresses there.
>
> In which case there is one manual step to installing resolvconf.  You
> would need to change:
>
>   include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
>
> To this:
>
>   include "/var/run/bind/named.options";
>
> The resolvconf package scripts know about bind9 and if it is installed
> then they assume that you want to use it and automatically set up
> /var/run/bind/named.options with the nameservers offered by DHCP.
>
> Bob

Aha! Yes, that was it. Thanks!

Just removing bind9 was enough to produce the expected behaviour.

Not sure I follow the bit about the manual step required. Which file
is it that is being edited? can't find anything in etc/resolvconf..

Or is that a step which would allow use of the DHCP values with bind9
still isntalled?

I suppose the latter would be useful to be able to do, so that all my
servers could be configured to run off a single nameserver, but be
able to take over as the nameserver with a simple change of config
if desired. (I am setting one up for a friend that wants to give
debian a try, but is not experienced in Linux admin, so fairly simple
but flexible network adaptability would be a big advantage)

Regards,
DigbyT