Dennis G. Wicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  It is time that I started getting serious about backing

s/time/long passed time/

>  up my systems. I have nine systems on my network, one
>  will be used just for backup & restore (Debian/lenny)

You've offered too few details to go on.  Do they all need to be
backed up?  How much, how often, how critical are they, what are they,
and what else do you have?  If you've a Tandberg or DLT drive
available, that'll work nicely depending on your situation.  Or would
a CD/DVD burner do?  Or just rsync each of them to another one so
you've a mirror of each if one dies?

There's lots of strategies for doing backups.  What happens if your
backup server dies in the middle of a backup (or restore)?  Who backs
up the backup server?

You don't need to backup anything that's on the install disks.  What
else have you got?  Corporate website with backend database?

>  I know of amanda and bacula. Are there others I should
>  look at? Any suggestions, recommendations?

I've never needed GUI backup programs.  I've never understood why
people use them.  The point of backing up is making a system easily
and correctly recoverable.  Making the backup easy is missing the
point, IMO.  It's the restore that I want to be quick and easy.

Roll your own?  Mine's hand crafted out of bash, find, afio, and
bzip2, however it's not suitable for enterprisey stuff (though it
could be).  It's done a brilliant job of making archives that are easy
to work with, recovering my systems over and over again (I experiment
a lot :-).