---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rafael Fontenelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25/04/2008 01:50
Subject: Re: switch from LILO to grub failed
To: Fabrizio Lippolis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

2008/4/23, Fabrizio Lippolis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  I have switched the boot manager from LILO to grub, I have purged the lilo
> package and installed the grub package. Moreover I have run the command
>
> grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
>
> I know I was wrong, and actually the machine no longer boots. When I try to
> boot from the disk I see an error like this:
>
> L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
>
> I have managed to boot from SysRescCd because the installation cd doesn't
> recognize the disk, mounted the root partition in a directory /mydir, it
> contains the boot directory too. Then I have run
>
> grub-install --root-directory=/mydir /dev/cciss/c0d0
>
> to install in the MBR. Seems that grub gets installed but the machine still
> doesn't boot from disk, I get the same error as before. Any help please?
>

> --
> *Fabrizio Lippolis*
> phone +39.080.56.92.291
> e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> *Auriga SpA* - Strada Vassallo, 1 - 70125 Bari - IT
> Phone +39.080.56.92.111 - Fax +39.080.56.92.112
> www.aurigaspa.com – [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Ai sensi del D.Lgs. 196/2003 si precisa che le informazioni contenute in
> questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora
> il presente messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad
> eliminarlo senza copiarlo e inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente
> comunicazione. Grazie.
>
> Pursuant to Legislative Decree No. 196/2003, you are hereby informed that
> this message contains confidential information intended only for the use of
> the addressee. If you are not the addressee, and have received this message
> by mistake, please delete it and immediately notify us. You may not copy or
> disseminate this message to anyone. Thank you.

Hi Fabrizio

Is /dev/cciss/c0d0 an HD or partition? What is /dev/cciss/c0d0p1? I couldn't
get very well this names..

Did you try this:

1- 'chroot /mydir /bin/bash' when you are in SysRescueCD environment so you
can run the shell as if you were in you system; and
2- 'grub-install /dev/hda' to install grub in the MBR of 'hda' (hda is an
example. Use your own device name).

Cheers,

Rafael