Chris wrote:

that seems like a nice approach.  Why do I need to touch the SENTINEL file?

Chris,

in the example, you touch the file ONCE to make it exist. Then when you mount music, it will "mask" the file. That file will only show up when your smb mount for music is not mounted. Try it.

When you make a file in a dir /tmp/test then mount something in /tmp/test the contents of /tmp/test will only show the mounted files. When you unmount /tmp/test the original file will still be there.

I think this is a rather elegant approach independent of networking. If networking is down, you will see the "touched" file. If networking is up and smb/CIF is working, you will not see it. The "touched" file will not be overwritten by your file moving/deletion/backups/restores.

Does that help?

--
Damon L. Chesser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]