On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 08:43 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable
> enough to use for a backup repository?

What kind of repo do you mean? A debian repo?
At any rate, The companies I have worked for have been using LVM for
years (knowingly and sometimes unknowingly ;-) and the LVM tech was
never the issue.

If there was an issue, it usually was something with the file system on
top of it, but never the LVM bit.

Seriously, this technology is rock solid. Production ready, much more so
then say... Veritas backup exec, or something like it ;-)

> I have several 250GB drives I am thinking of using for
> backup but administering the assignment of data to
> drives would be a headache. I am thinking that LVM
> might solve that by letting me make one big dataspace.

Makes sense. How many are there? Is it worth putting your backup process
as a drbd set? (Network Raid) so you can install some HA for your
backup?

That way you could install two identical servers, one master the other
slave. drbd would keep everything synched, you have *less* chance of
losing your disk based backups.

May I also ask what it is your backing up? I could be of more help when
we know more of what you are trying to backup.