On Sunday 04 May 2008, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 01:49:24PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > - a supported usb to serial cable for linux that works with the
> > kernel? - If the kernel supports it will a software daemon (brltty)
> > support it?
>
> I have never used such converters, but some info can be found in
>
>   Linkname: Device categories
>
>   Linkname: USB Serial Converter support

I missed the other posts in this thread, but just recently I finished a
C++ program to communicate with a specific device (an HD radio -- for
carputers, it'll soon be part of LinuxICE).  While the original cable
was intended to be connected to the RS232C port, I found that I had no
problem controlling the radio through a USB->RS232 converter.  I used
an adaptor that identified itself as ATEN and the other person who was
testing my code used one with a chip from something like Prolific or
Proliant.  I don't remember names like that very well.

I do know we tried one from a company called Cables Plus.  I don't what
the chipset in it was, but it didn't work too well.  It's possible it
could work, but I didn't have time to check all the settings.

I did find that I had to be extra careful to do things in my code like
make sure I specified to the serial port object (in C++) to hang up on
closing for the adaptor, so while they work okay, they do seem to be a
tad pickier on protocols, or at least some are.

And as for versions, I was doing the programming on Kubuntu Gusty (or
Gutsy if it hasn't had any beans) and it also ran well on Sarge.
Neither had any exotic kernel setup.

Hal